I Am Sitting In A Room

Commentary and thoughts on (mostly) classical music.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Miscellany

  • For about 15 mins. this morning, I planned a trip to Sante Fe to catch the American premiere of Adès's The Tempest and the premiere of a commission by Magnus Lindberg at the SF Chamber Music Festival. This was before I remembered that I'm still in grad school. Even hitchhiking would cost too much. The first job I get, though, I'm establishing a travel budget for just this kind of thing. Thankfully the blogosphere should produce a variety of reactions.
  • Esa-Pekka Salonen's piano piece Dichotomie isn't available on a CD, but I recently discovered a performance by Yefim Bronfman that was released as an iTunes bonus track to the Wing on Wing album.
  • DG Concerts has released a third LA Philharmonic performance of Beethoven and Lutoslawski via iTunes. Unfortunately, you can't just purchase the Lutoslawski Symphony #4. I'm a little miffed by this - do I really want to download Beethoven's 5th and Leonore #2? As yet undecided.
  • The home team is picking up some good reviews for a new CD of the Concertos for Orchestra by Lutosławski & Bartók with Music Director Paavo Järvi.
  • Googling "kill bernard holland" doesn't yield much, but change "kill" to "die" and an old thread from Opera-l appears with the subject "Bernard Holland must die." This search was prompted by his latest groaner, reviewing a concert by Mitsuko Uchida.
  • 4 Comments:

    At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with the anti-Holland stand. If he's not going to really say anything, he could at least have commented on the fact that it looked like Uchido was wearing a rain poncho.
    I find Midgette's reviews unnecessarily harsh as of late. Hope Sandow's not reading this-Christina

     
    At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    oops, should have proofread...*Uchida---Christina

     
    At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I still think you should go to Santa Fe

     
    At 3:58 PM, Blogger Lisa Hirsch said...

    Holland got sent to review one of the Emerson's Shostakovich quartet cycle. He wrote five paragraphs about the history of the quartets themselves and two sentences about the concert, amounting to "they played well." OKAY! I could have written the review from the comfort of my home in Oakland, if I could only get the assignment!

    OTOH, there was another new-music review by him that got me interested in the concert and composers.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home