I Am Sitting In A Room

Commentary and thoughts on (mostly) classical music.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

From the Composer's Mouth

"There was a time when gods walked the earth, and everyone had to confront what those gods--Stravinsky, Schoenberg--were doing. There are no gods around now, and I think that's really liberating. Philip Glass has his solutions and Boulez and Ligeti have their solutions, and they're not intended to work for others, which makes it a wonderful time to be a composer. That said, because many of my teachers had the beliefs that came from that time, my music is tremendously structured, controlled, and mathematically generated. No one would ever know that, because I don't want them to know; my structures are hidden, but I am the bastard grandchild of a certain tradition in music."

          - David Lang in Theater 30/2 (2000)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home