I Am Sitting In A Room

Commentary and thoughts on (mostly) classical music.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Attack!

I've been writing a letter to my local classical music station. It's gone through several drafts, but the basic sentiment is in a sentence I haven't decided whether or not to use:

"The classical music world is not as wretchedly moribund as a week’s worth of KUHF playlists would suggest."

If you're dissatisfied with the state of classical radio in your neck of the woods, let 'em know.

Update: I decided to use that line in my letter, which has now been sent. Another sample:

"Let’s face it; nobody falls in love with classical music on a steady diet of Telemann, Bax, and Galuppi."

6 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is too bad that KUHF is the only classical station left in a city the size of Houston. I wrote about KRTS going off the air when before it happened and I STILL get people searching for KRTS. There is a market for a good classical station. I don't think KUHF is it though.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I get for not previewing!!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger jason said...

Hey laanba, welcome & thanks for stopping by.

KUHF is certainly not that good station you speak of. Maybe a combination of KRTS and KUHF was, but I was only hear about two months before KRTS went down. I know my little letter will fall on deaf ears at the station, but I just can't help myself. I'm getting proactive in my advancing age.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger jason said...

Grr...*here*...see what you mean about not previewing!

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason - Welcome to the world of frustration with KUHF. Hopefully you read my post about my experience with them:

http://maroney.blogs.com/sounds_like_new/2004/10/public_radio.html

I'm somewhat eager to hear what they'll say to you, but I'm also not expecting anything new. As I said then, it's sad when people like us who are so madly dedicated to classical music are the first to change stations....We should start setting odds and taking bets for the inevitable "format change" at KUHF.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger jason said...

I've been on the "frustrated" line for a while. The thing that tipped me over was hearing John Adams on the station. I was pleased- giddy, even. Then they announced that it was his birthday. It wasn't any kind of policy change or attempt to perk up the (craptastic) programming. It was a sop to the birthday of someone whose name was too big to let slide. (Never mind that I also think birthday-based programming is also pretty weak.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home