I Am Sitting In A Room

Commentary and thoughts on (mostly) classical music.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Ashes to ashes, eh?

The end of history is, alas, also the end of the dustbins of history. There are no longer any dustbins for disposing of old ideologies, old regimes, old values. Where are we going to throw Marxism, which actually invented the dustbins of history? (Yet there is some justice here since the very people who invented them have fallen in.) Conclusion: if there are no more dustbins of history, this is because History itself has become a dustbin. It has become its own dustbin, just as the planet itself is becoming its own dustbin.

Jean Baudrillard - 20 June 1926 - 6 March 2007


(heads up via modal minority)

2 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason:

Thanks for the comment on the Naxos Blog @ Sequenza21: www.sequenza21.com/naxos

I hope things are going well with the Ph.D. I just finished up my doctorate at Stony Brook last year.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you think I deserve some credit for this post? After all, I mentioned Baudrillard in my American Psycho paper at our conference this past Fecruary, and oddly enough this post appeared after I mentioned Baudrillard's passing during a general conversation. What gives?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home